What can I do to help prevent a surgical site infection?
- Take a shower the night before and the morning of surgery. Follow these simple steps:
- Wash your hair first with any shampoo.
- Wash all of your body using a liquid antibacterial soap and a clean washcloth for each shower.
- Rinse well to remove all soap.
- Dry your body with a clean towel.
- Do not use lotion, cream or powder.
- Do not shave or clip the area where the surgery will be done unless your physician directs you to do so.
- On the day of your procedure make sure you, your family and any other caregivers wash hands frequently while at the facility and at home following your surgery. Also, do not hesitate to ask members of your health care team at the facility if they have washed their hands!
- After your procedure make sure you, your family and any other caregivers wash their hands frequently. Also, be sure you follow all instructions provided by your health care team regarding the care and cleaning of your surgical site as well as the administration of post-operative medications and bandages.